A deliciously easy recipe with a chai twist.
Chai Walli Apple Crumble Recipe (serves 6-8)
Egg Free – Vegetarian – Refined Sugar Free
- 5-6 apples peeled and diced (we used a mixture of apples + pears)
- Half a slab of butter at room temperature (approx 150 g)
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- Juice of half a lemon or orange
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Jaggery (Indian natural sugar available on our website)
- 3 tbs Caffeine Free 11 Spice Chai (ground to a powered using a mortar & pestle or spice grinder)
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grind our 11 Spice Caffeine Free chai to a powder.
- Place the apple, 1/4 cup of jaggery, lemon (or orange) juice and 2 tbs of ground chai in a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer to an ovenproof dish, it should have a layer of about 2 cm of apples.
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour, 1/4 cup of jaggery, 1 tbs of ground chai, oats and butter in a large bowl and mix with your hands until everything is combined (like the photos).
- Put the crumble mixture over the apples until it completely covers the apples.
- Put the ovenproof tray in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the apples are soft.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream, or if you want to create an ultimate chaigasm, make our Chai Ice Cream to serve with this ;)