Don't go telling us that Indian cooking is always difficult! In this recipe, Uppma shares a super quick way to spice up a plain rice dish using her Mum's Garam Masala and fresh ginger - yum!
1.5 cups poha*
2 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons Garam Masala
4 fresh curry leaves (or 2 dried)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 a white onion, diced
A pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 cup red capsicum, diced
1/2 cup green spring onions, chopped
1/2 cup cashews
- Put the poha* into a large sieve. Run cold water over it for 1 minute, moving the rice around with your fingers. Set aside in sieve.
- Heat a pan, add the ghee.
- Once the ghee is warm, add the diced white onion, garam masala, curry leaves, fresh ginger, cumin seeds and chilli flakes.
- Cook for 3 -5 minutes.
- Add red capsicum and spring onion, mix through.
- Add the poha or cooked rice and mix well.
- Taste and add salt or pepper as you desire.
- Sprinkle with the cashews and serve.
*Poha is white rice that has been parboiled, flattened and then dried into flakes. It creates an 'instant' rice when rinsed under water and added to dishes. You can use 1.5 cups of cooked white or brown rice in its place if you need.
You can also use any other veggies that you would like - diced carrot, green capsicum etc.