When it comes to baking and food styling, Nidhi (aka @coco_and_chill) is an absolute pro. She has been part of the Chai Walli community for many years and her support has been incredibly gracious. Here's her wonderful creation using some of her favourite Chai Walli products including the 11 Spice Chai, Chai Syrup and Chai Dust.
"I love adding a unique twist to classic desserts and this one is a special with a cheeky surprise in it!
This cool, creamy, slightly tart cream cheese filling punctuated with fragrant & warming chai gel is like eating an extremely creamy Chai, which is now one of my favourite ways to have chai. Like we need more reasons, am I right?
This looks deceptively simple while packing a serious punch. Simple enough for an easy-to-whip-up weekend treat yet just fancy enough to impress your guests."
Chai Cheese Tart (No Bake)
No bake Tart Base
- Digestive/gingernut biscuit 150g.
- Unsalted butter 55 g, melted
- 1 tbsp Chai Walli Chai Dust or 1.5 tbsp 11 Spice Chai lightly crushed.
- Salt 1 pinch
- Chai Walli Chai Syrup 200 ml
- Water 50ml
- Agar Agar ½ tsp
- Cream cheese 200g (room temperature)
- Thickened cream 250ml
- Icing Sugar 30g
- 18 cm Fluted Tart Tin with a removable bottom, lightly greased
- 16 cm Pastry ring/ shallow cake tin with a 16cm diameter
- Cling film
- Small Off-set palate knife / Spoon
- Piping bag optional
For the Chai Gel:
- Line the outside of a Pastry Ring with cling film, twist at the sides, ensuring it sits tightly against the ring. Flip over, this creates a removable bottom for the gel.
- If using a Cake Tin, line the inside of the tin with cling film, leaving over-hang and, ensuring there are no air bubbles trapped underneath. Place on a baking tray or a plate.
- Bring Chai Walli Chai Syrup and water to a simmer, add in the agar agar and whisk. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared mould. Refrigerate for 30 mins. or till set. If using cake tin method, rest the mixture on the bench for 10 mins. & freeze for 45 mins. It will help with unmoulding
For the Base:
- Pulse biscuit, salt and 11 Spice Chai (if using) or Chai Dust in a blender till they look like fine breadcrumbs, transfer to a bowl.
- Melt butter and add to the biscuit crumbs, mix well, and transfer the mixture to the tart tin. Press evenly using the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Add cream cheese into a bowl and beat until fluffy, using a handheld/stand mixer.
- In another bowl whisk icing sugar and cream to medium stiff peaks.
- Add into cream cheese mixture and gently fold everything together, using a spatula, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Pipe/Spoon half of the mixture into prepared tart tin, smooth using a palate knife or the back of a spoon and push some mixture onto the edges, creating a dip in the mix.
- Run a knife along the edge of the gel. Using the cling film transfer the gel onto the mix, remove the cling film and discard.
- Pipe enough cream cheese mix to fill the tin. Smooth out using the palate knife. Reserve any leftover cheese mix for decoration.
- Chill for minimum 8 hours or until fully set, in the coldest part of the fridge.
- Remove from the fridge just before you slice and serve, up to 30 mins.