Chai Walli Sticky Date Pudding (serves 12-15)
The most mouth watering and simple chai sticky date pudding recipe ever!
Vegetarian – Refined Sugar Free - Contains Dairy, Gluten & Egg
Ingredients for Chai Pudding Cake
- 250g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- 125 g butter (room temperature)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Jaggery (Indian natural sugar available on our website)
- 3 tbs 11 Spice Chai (ground to a powered using a mortar & pestle or spice grinder)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (or egg replacement powder)
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour (white or wholemeal)
Ingredients for Chai Caramel Sauce
Directions for Pudding Cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place dates and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Crush our 11 Spice chai to rough powder using a mortar and pestle, set aside.
- In a separate bowl place the butter, sugar and vanilla and mix it using an electric beater until it is creamy.
- Now add both eggs to the butter mixture, 1 at a time, beating well with the electric beater after each egg.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold through date mixture from step 1, flour and chai from step 3 until well combined.
- Spoon the chai pudding mixture into a standard sized cake pan (make sure you grease it of line it with baking paper). Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool down, then turn it upside down onto a plate or cake stand.
- Now time to make some finger licking chai caramel sauce!
Directions for Chai Caramel Sauce
- Combine all the listed ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the sauce for about 4 - 5 minutes until everything is combined and it comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2-3 minutes then strain the sauce into a jug for pouring later.
- Once the chai pudding cake has cooled down and you're ready to serve it, pierce it all over with a skewer then pour 1/2 cup of the warm chai caramel sauce over it. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve the cake into plates with remaining sauce. Enjoy this finger licking dessert! Your family and friends will be so impressed :)
For more chailicious recipes like this, sign up to our newsletter at the bottom right of this page!