Chai Christmas Pudding Recipe
Ingredients for Chai Walli Christmas Pudding:
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup butter melted/room temperature
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1 cup mixed nuts chopped
- 2 tsp Chai Walli (Black Chai blend), grind using a home grinder or mortar and pestle
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (or egg substitute powder)
Directions for the Chai Christmas Pudding (pictures below):
- Add the first 8 ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Then stir in the milk and egg. Once well combined, pour chai pudding into a buttered 1.5 litre pudding bowl.
- Cover with a double layer of buttered foil. Tie the foil securely under the top of the bowl ring with string, then place in a steamer or large pan containing simmering water (the water should be halfway up the sides of the pudding bowl).
- Cover the pot or steamer with a lid, for 2.5 – 3 hours. Check the water level ever 20-30 mins during the steam cooking + top up with water if necessary.
- If you are preparing this pudding ahead, then remove the foil, let it cool, then wrap in cling film and then fresh foil. If you are serving it immediately, unwrap and invert onto a deep plate.
Ingredients for Chai Butterscotch Sauce:
- 2 tsps Chai Walli (Black Chai blend)
- 85g butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions for Chai Walli Butterscotch Sauce (pictures below):
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan + slowly bring to boil, stirring. Allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, still stirring, until the chai + sugar have dissolved. When the sauce is a chai brown colour + slightly thickened, remove from heat.
- Use our chai strainer to strain the sauce into a jug + discard the chai from the strainer.
- Let the chai sauce cool gently, then pour some over the pudding. Decorate the pudding with nuts + a sprinkle of Chai Walli (Caffeine Free Chai blend).
- When cutting + serving the chai pudding, pour more chai sauce over the slice you are serving.
- Try not to lick this chai sauce off your fingers! (We didn’t succeed with this step but maybe you will!)
Enjoy this chailicous treat! Uppma made this last week for her Christmas party + it was everyone’s favourite dessert! She made it eggless to cater to dietary requirements and it a hit. If you want any tips from her on making this cake, put them in the comments section below 🙂
Merry Christmas! xx